Sounds like Google Apps is the culprit this time. Marco brought it to my attention this morning, hat tip to you! I’ll have to take a look at this in depth, and update my Gmail Outage guide to reflect the new options that Google Gears provides when used in conjunction with Gmail.
Update: Check out the new Google Apps dashboard for the latest from several of the gApps.
I’m seeing a rush of traffic again due to a 502 error in gMail. This outage is being reported by the gMail team and it looks like they are shooting for a resolution by this evening. I haven’t been hit with it yet, knock on wood, but it would appear a lot of others are. I’ve put together some tips on surviving gMail outages and I would love to hear how you are making out in the comments.
The gMail outage of yesterday and today was appearently enough to hit the front page of Slashdot again. I didn’t see a big rush of traffic like last time, just a few trickling in. My gMail survival tips still apply. Hopefully it wasn’t as bad for you as this guy.
I turned my system on this morning to find that my DVDRW drive is not listed along with the other drives on my computer. A quick glance at the device manager showed a yellow exclamation point with the cheerful news that the driver was missing or corrupted. All of my attempts to reinstall the driver failed.
Google don’t let me down!
I finally came across these steps. After a quick registry edit and reboot, I was back in action. I recently installed Vista SP1, perhaps it had something to do with it.
1) Close all open programs
2) Click on Start, Run, and type REGEDIT and press Enter
3) Click on the plus signs (+) next to the following folders
4) This folder is the DVD/CD-ROM Drive Class Description in the registry. Look for any of the following names in the right hand column.
5) If any of the above keys shown in step 4 are listed, right-click on them and choose Delete
6) After deleting the keys, close the Registry Editor
7) Reboot your computer and confirm that the drive is listed
So, FF 3.0.1 was seriously pissing me off today. I’ll spare details as not very many people are VFP developers but it came down to something fairly simple.
When a request comes into my web app, I check the CONTENT_TYPE header. Most browsers send this…
Firefox 3.0.1 is sending…
…which completely threw my program off when using FF3, while IE6/7, Opera, and Safari were working just fine. The program is using jQuery, the form plugin, etc so the problem could have been anywhere.
I finally broke down and asked for help. Rick was nice enough to point out the flaws in my logic and get me back on track.
2.5 hours of pulling my hair out. Grrr!